Blog post

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Land records: A lot to take in

I received my DVD of digitised land records yesterday. Between the eight correspondence files I asked for there were over 250 document images. Needless to say, that’s a lot to take in.

I have confirmed that the Bennett records most definitely relate to my family and from skimming the files I have already had some insight into their life.

I wasn’t in the mood tonight for trying to absorb all that material, most of it handwritten. I will come back to that on a less busy day. Instead, I had a long overdue play with Google Earth and marked out the plots owned by my ancestor James Bennett and four of his six children. I must make more use of Google Earth!

Location of Bennett family land near Bung Bong, Victoria

image

6 comments:

  1. That DVD should keep you amused for a while - hope it contains lots of surprises

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No big surprises (yet) but some nice details which to my mind are just as good.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have a play with Google Earth too. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun! I did a lot more with it than I showed here, but the detail would have been lost on a small picture.

      Delete
  3. How exciting! You've inspired me to look into farm land some of my ancestors may have owned in Indigo Creek, Victoria, before moving to Albury. Was it expensive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was not too bad. I'll email you with details.

      Delete