Blog post

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

ANZAC Day genea-blogging–preliminary roundup

After our successful Australia Day and Waitangi Day blogging challenges, Seonaid (@genebrarian) from the Central Auckland Research Centre, Auckland Libraries suggested that we get together to hold a joint Australian and New Zealand blogging event for ANZAC Day (25 April).

Participants were to:

  • Write a blog post about an Australian or New Zealander serviceman or woman’s family, and the impact war had on their family history.
  • Publish their post by 25 April 2011
  • Post a comment with the URL on this blog, or under discussions on the Auckland Research Centre’s Facebook page.

As indicated on our first posts, all submissions will be listed in a summary posting on this blog and Auckland Libraries’ Kintalk blog by the end of April.

In the meantime… here are the links to the ANZAC Day submissions which were notified to this blog.

Anglers Rest: Edward Ellis

Alison, My Family Puzzles: Hugh O’Brien

Sharon, The Tree of Me: Alan Seabrook Mitchell

patientgenie, patientgenie: Eric Hugh Barker

Rosemary, Climbing the Family Rosebush: Reginald Sydney Merrett

cassmob, Family history across the seas: William Rudolph (Robert) Kunkel

Shelley, Twigs of Yore: Leonard John Couper “Jack” Lee

Geniaus, Geniaus: John Bertram Chatfield

Tanya Honey, My genealogy Adventure: James (Milton) Simmons

Aillin, Australian Genealogy Journeys: George Brown Fullerton

Are you missing from the list? Did you post here, not at Kintalk? Please drop me a line (see the About me page for my email). I wouldn’t want to miss anyone.

I haven’t had the chance to read all of the posts yet, but those I have read were moving tributes, without exception. I think I will have to read the posts in stages, or it will be too much heartbreak to take in one hit.

Congratulations and thanks to all.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Shelley, for co-ordinating this.
    It is so important to remember the sacrifices made for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelly, another great challenge. Since writing my post I have been contacted by someone who was given a set of wings belonging to Allan Seabrook Mitchell when he graduated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, but Seonaid was the driving force behind this one. I do have a number of ideas stewing away for Australia Day next year, though...

    It's hard to comprehend the sacrifices made - for which I can only be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sharon (see my comment to Jill).

    That's fantastic that the person got in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete